19 - Beautiful Bluffs.
The original 176 =-acre park consisted primarily of a long, narrow canyon with a small stream flowing through it. At that time these formations were called "dells" a name that has stayed with the park. After Matthiessen's death, the park was donated to the state of Illinois, which opened it as a public park. In 1943, the state remained the park in honor of Matthiessen. Since then, the park has grown to 1,938 acres and includes much of the significant natural areas along the main dell, some former prairie land, and some forest land south of the origninal park