Please sign in to comment. Don't have a profile? Join now! Joining is absolutely free and no personal information is required.
TS, the ones with the brown thingie on top are NOT poison! It the thingie is white/cream color, it IS poison. The brown tops can be simmered and stained for a tea. Never tried it. There is FB site called 'Joy of Foraging'. You can like it and you will get a stream of info daily. I have always wanted to bring in some leaf stems for a vase, but didn't know the difference between the poison & non-poison until this year.
I had always thought Sumac was poison too but some people say it isn't. I guess I'll have to google it sometime.
Mamahen, I see this stuff all around the lake and it has stalks of dark brown looking sort of tiny medallions, little orbs, almost like a maize stalk. Is this poison? Can you cut it and bring it inside? It looks like a great decoration when it's like that.
I love the color of sumac in the fall. Thanks mamahen